Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Simone Update 9/12

Okay. It's been another tough day.

I took Simone in this morning to the OSU veterinary hospital. I gave her case history to a fourth year medical student, and then proceeded to wait an hour and a half in the exam room for the doctor to come in. Simone was pretty mellow, and took a nap on the floor while we waited.

The doctor finally came in around noon and examined Simone. He made a good first impression (he has a sexy Australian accent) and discussed the tests that he wanted to perform. He said he wanted to start out with a CBC and chemistry panel to check her liver enzymes (since her eyes looked a little yellow), and then do a liver aspirate (since her liver is so enlarged) and an abdominal ultrasound. Depending on the results of the abdominal ultrasound, he said they may want to do a bone marrow biopsy to check for bone marrow cancer. I left Simone with them and then went home to wait by the phone.

The vet student called around 4pm and told us that Simone would be ready to pick up at 5pm. She said they wanted to take her off the new immunosuppressent drug, and lower her steroid drug to two pills twice a day. We got there at 5pm, waited until 5:45pm, and then the doctor came in. He was very good at explaining what he thinks is going on. He said that the initial diagnosis of immune-mediated thrombocytopenia seemed to be accurate, and that her platelet rebound once she was put on steroids was good evidence of that. He said that her anemia doesn't appear to be immune-mediated though, since one of the tests they did (Coombs test) came back negative. Aside from a 1 cm mass, her spleen appeared normal. He thinks her enlarged liver is due to the new immunosuppressent drug, as it can apparently rather toxic to the liver. He wants to take her off that immediately, and give her liver a chance to recover. He said he also thinks that she has been on such a high dose of steroids for such a long period of time that may be what is causing her to have problems with her red blood cells. He thinks that lowering the steroids, and getting down to the lowest dose possible, will help her red blood cells to rebound. So, he thinks her overall prognosis has the potential to be positive, so long as there isn't another underlying cause (which, on this horrible roller coaster ride, there still could be). Only time will tell. We're going to take a baby step and discontinue the one drug and lower the dose of the other and hope for the best.


Simone's X-ray from 9/5/07

So, around 6:00pm, Simone was finally brought back in to see us. She didn't seem herself. She was drooling, and only did an obligatory tail wag. She swaggered down the hallway and out into the parking lot with us. When we got outside, she urinated, but couldn't use her back legs very well and seemed to be having trouble. I got to the car and took her dinner out, but she wasn't interested in it at all. When she made it to the car, she collapsed. Her gums were paper white and her heart was racing. She seemed distant and not aware of her surroundings. Gary ran back to the building (which was now closed and locked), and pushed the intercom. After being asked where he got the inside phone number (apparently someone was new and didn't realize they had an intercom phone in the parking lot!), a crew of six vets rushed out with a stretcher and loaded Simone up. They took her inside and told us they would call us later.

In shock, Gary and I headed home to again wait by the phone. At 7:30pm, the vet called and talked to Gary. He said it appeared that she was bleeding internally. He said it seemed likely that a clot had been dislodged when they did the liver aspirate, and she began bleeding. He said they had started a plasma transfusion and that she seemed to be responding. He said he would call back in a couple of hours and give us an update.

At 8:45pm, he called again, and said that Simone seems to be perking back up. He said they had taken her outside to pee and that she was wagging her tail and her eyes had reanimated. He said that her blood pressure was back up to a normal range and that the blood in her abdominal cavity had a lower packed cell volume (16) than her arterial blood (27). While neither value is good (normal is 42), the lower value in the abdominal cavity indicated that there wasn't a direct arterial bleed. So, they have a pressure bandage on her abdomen, should be finishing up her plasma transfusion, and will be keeping an eye on her tonight. We were told to expect a call from the vet student in the morning to let us know what's going on and when we might expect to be able to pick Simone up.

We're exhausted, but encouraged. At the top of the roller coaster again, but it's so much better to be up here than at the bottom. It seems like we've been spending too much time there.

Thanks for all of your kind words and thoughts. We'll keep you posted.

Love, Carley and Gary

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Simone Update 9/11

Things are sliding a bit. We started her on the immunosuppressent last Wednesday with hopes that it would stop the destruction of red blood cells and allow her body to make more. We went in on Friday for a hematocrit, and it was 34. We went in again on Monday, and it was 32. She is not responding to the medication. Our vet is at a loss for what might be going on; she thinks the lack of response to the immunosuppressent indicates that the disease is not autoimmune. So, we're back to the beginning almost, and don't know what is causing it. We know it's not a rodenticide, a tick-borne illness, or immune mediated. She's losing weight (down 4 pounds since Friday), and her appetite is decreasing, so cancer is still a possibility even though the X-rays didn't show a mass. We have been referred to the OSU vet school's medical clinic for additional tests and an abdominal ultrasound. We go in tomorrow at 10:00 for our appointment. Hopefully they will be able to piece it together and give us some answers. I don't know how much more of this we can take.

Please keep her in your hearts.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Simone Update 9/5

Simone isn't so good. Her revised diagnosis as of this morning is Evans Syndrome (a combination of immune mediated thrombocytopenia and hemolytic anemia), which means that her immune system is now attacking both platelets and RBCs. Her RBC count this morning was 33, and it's supposed to be 42-47. She's got pale gums and is panting hard and is lethargic. She had X-rays this morning to look for masses/tumors; fortunately, it didn't appear that there were any. The vet says cancer can't be ruled out, but at least there were no abnormalities other than an enlarged liver, which we understand is to be expected with all of the drugs she is on. We're starting her on a heavy duty immunosuppressant this afternoon (coupled with an antibiotic to help her fight off infection) and hoping she responds. We're not ready to think about where we'll be if she doesn't.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The new pill regimen

We're doing okay. Worried, but okay. Simone isn't herself, but perks up when offered a treat or cookie. So, needless to say, she's getting whatever she wants!

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Helping Hand

Simone gets a ride from dad after climbing down a steep embankment while on a walk in The Dalles.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Simone Update 8/15

Simone is doing much better. Her platelet count was up to 325,000 as of yesterday! Hooray! We're officially out of the woods! She goes back in for another check next week, and then hopefully we can start lowering her steroid dose. They make her thirsty (she now drinks 4-5 bowls of water a day) and thus has to pee a lot (I get up twice a night now to let her out). Her eyes look great though...I've never seen them this white. It's making us wonder if she hasn't had this all along, and for some reason, it's just gotten worse now. Whatever the case, we're glad we caught it and that there's something we can do about it!

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Simone Update 8/12

She's doing better. Had a scare on Friday afternoon...She started acting funny, and when I looked her over, I noticed that her gums were paper white. I called the vet and left a message, and she called me back an hour later. By then Simone started acting more normal, and her gums started to pink back up, but she said it could have been internal bleeding, so we went in. They did bloodwork, and by the time the vet saw her, her gums were back to normal. I think Simone was just ticked that we hadn't taken her in that day and wanted to go back (they have good treats!) Her bloodwork came back as improved...the RBC count was down a little, but her platelets were up...to 135,000! A huge improvement over Thursday's 21,000 count. So, everything seems to be going better. We go back in for bloodwork on Tuesday and hopefully her platelets will be normal by then. It's going to be like this for awhile...making sure her platelets stablize, then the vet deciding when to decrease her steroids. It may take months before we get it right, but we're willing. Hopefully she'll get back on track and have another 7 healthy years.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Simone Update 8/10

All of the tick disease tests have come back negative, so her low platelet levels aren't being caused by a bacteria. Darn! That would have been the quickest and easiest fix.

As of yesterday, her platelet count is now at 21,000 (a four-fold increase). We're still ~150,000 shy of being back in the normal zone, but hopefully she'll get there. Her neutrophils are a little elevated (which can indicate a bacterial infection), so the vet has asked us to keep her on the antibiotics for now even though the tick titres came back negative. We go back in for bloodwork on Monday again for the next check.

It's sounding more and more like immune-mediated thrombocytopenia, so it sounds like she will be on steroids for the rest of her life (in addition to her twice daily thyroid and
phenylpropanolamine). Soon we're going to need one of those pill cases just to keep it all straight! The vet also had us put her on 2 tablets of maximum strength Pepcid AC to help her stomach cope with the current high doses of steroid.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Simone's current twice-daily medication dose. Yikes!

We're glad her eyes look better...the redness has pretty much disappeared. The weight gain has begun from the steroids though, as she's up 4 pounds in only 2 days. I shudder to think of what it will be on Monday! Poor puppy worked so hard to lose all that weight, and now it's going to pile itself back on. Hopefully it won't be too hard for her to lose again later :)

We'll continue to keep you posted.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Thrombocytopenia

Not a good day. Took Simone to the vet for her red eyes, convinced she had pink eye or something, but the vet said that wasn't it. It appears that she is bleeding behind her eyes and cannot see out of the right one, and only has partial vision out of the left. The vet immediately suspected a rodenticide poisoning, and then listed off an autoimmune disorder in which her white blood cells are attacking her red blood cells, cancer as other possibilities for her symptoms. The vet was hesitant to tell me anything until the tests come back, but told me that she was "very worried".

They took blood out of three of her legs and gave her a giant shot of vitamin K (19 mL...I've never seen a syringe that big) to help her coagulate better, and then sent us home to wait by the phone to hear the results of the blood work.

At 6pm the vet called. Simone's platelet levels are dangerously low (5,000...they should be at 165,000). This means she is not able to clot properly. She has a tentative diagnosis of thrombocytopenia. This might be caused by an autoimmune disorder (then it would be called immune-mediated thrombocytopenia), in which her immune system has suddenly decided to target her platelets, or it might be caused by something else, like canine ehrlichiosis (a bacterial infection transmitted by a tick). As we were in Northern Nevada and California in the last 5 weeks or so, the tick bite might be a possibility. They are running a tick titre on her blood now; we should have the results in 6 days and know for sure. In the meantime, they have started her on a high dose of steroids and an antibiotic (in case it's the ehrlichiosis). She will be getting her blood checked every other day to see if her platelet count starts to rise. We'll know more once the tick titre comes back and after she's had her first few platelet counts.

If it's the autoimmune disease, then she'll be on steroids for the rest of her life. If it's caused by a tick, then the antibiotic should kick it eventually. We've been told it could still be caused by something else entirely (cancer was mentioned as a possibility not to be ruled out just yet), but we won't go there until we have to.

Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Friday, June 1, 2007

Bliss

Simone loves to roll on her back on freshly cut grass.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Sunbathing

Simone soaks up the late afternoon sun in the backyard.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Crabbing


Simone waits patiently on the dock while dad checks the crab traps for dinner.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

All Smiles


Simone smiles as she sits in a chair on the deck.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Catch!

Simone went to town on this baseball she found in the outfield at the park by our house.
It took some effort to remove it from her tooth!

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Naptime


Simone snuggles with dad on the futon on a lazy Saturday.

Monday, March 26, 2007

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Sunbathing

Simone had a nice time sunbathing on the deck this afternoon.

Friday, March 16, 2007

Fun with Spongebob

Simone baits me with her eyes to come play with her and Spongebob.

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Lippy


Simone's "lippy" face on a hike at Alsea Falls.